It’s February and the Garden Route is still sizzling with summer fun and memories made over the festive season! As locals, we know that November, February and March has the idyllic weather everyone rants about and all the towns are a bit calmer after the seasonal holiday rush. It truly is the BEST time of the year for a Garden Route holiday.
Keeping that in mind, we thought we’d give you some awesome and truly authentic things to do in Knysna. Things we as locals enjoy in secrecy 😉
Roll on out some culture, adventure, great food and drinks: [in no particular order]
- Enjoy a Picture Perfect Picnic at Margaret’s View Point – This is undoubtedly one of the sweetest spots to gaze over Knysna. Head out towards Brenton on Sea and keep your eyes on the left for this viewpoint, more we cannot give away, that will just take the adventure out of the day! Now before you pack your own picnic basket with dull cookies and last nights’ left over pizza, DEFINITELY give the guys from Wilderness Picnic Company a call. Their mouth watering, super healthy picnic baskets are all organic, locally sourced, totally customizable to your liking and is nothing short of gourmet. They come in totally biodegradable packaging AND they’ll deliver it to the picnic spot. Bargain!
- SUP on the lagoon – Now the Knysna lagoon is special in uncountable ways and one of the best ways you can experience this is if you’re out on the water paddling at your own pace. On a kayak or SUP (stand up paddle board), one can really become part of this sensitive eco-sphere. There’s lots of options around to rent boards, but if you want to head out on your own steam, we recommend doing this from Thesen Island where you will find Ocean Odyssey. They are affordable (also check out their epic Eco Boat Trips!) and you depart from a central location which means you can choose from a variety of routes. [WARNING – Knysna has some of the strongest ocean and lagoon currents in the world, please take care and listen to warnings. Adventure is only worth it if you stay alive to tell the story!]
- Grab a Kayak at Riverdeck Restaurant and finish with a cocktail! – Imagine… a relaxed bohemian restaurant where you can enjoy great food and drinks with your feet in the water on a beach in Mozambique… But it’s 10 mins outside of Knysna. Welcome to One of the best kept secrets around Knysna, Riverdeck Restaurant! Rent a Kayak for next to nothing and paddle UP the river for the best views and sounds of the forests. [Heading up stream keep an eye on the right for our #7]
- Laze Around on Buffalo Bay Beach – Surfing, SUPing, swimming, tanning, ice creams, cold beers, sun and one beautiful stretch of beach to get lost on… Any of this sound good? Yes please! Buffalo Bay (Buffels Bay) is like Knysna’s main beach and at only a 20 min drive away it’s a must do for any beach lovers! Head West on the N2 and check for signage 10km outta town to turn Left.
- Visit the Gold Mines in the Millwood Forest – Now I’m not the biggest fan of useless facts and odd museums, but I do like the Gold Mines high up in the Knysna Forests. Take the tour (Call Andrew +27 61 972 7080) and explore the simple but cool history of the locals from 1800-long-gone-time. Interesting and stunningly beautiful is the words that come to mind. Oh and my rocking recommendation – Stop for lunch at Totties Farm Kitchen on the way back, order one of the burgers! Your life will never be the same again 😉
- Feast on Succulent Seafood Dinner at Freshline Fisheries – [ Maybe do the following a day after Totties just to make some space ] – I’ll share the secret recipe that makes Freshline the best – one cooler box, your own bottle(s) of wine or drinks, a couple of friends, sweet outdoors location and “flippen lekke” fresh seafood. Don’t know about you, but I’m hooked mate!
- Enjoy some Mashie Golf at Blackwaters Lodge – Mashie Golf is a lot of fun, take it from someone who doesn’t like golf anyway. It’s like put-put for grown ups. And at the location of Blackwaters Lodge, it’s simply wonderful. Bring the kids along, enjoy lunch at their restaurant or even sleep over.
- Come thirsty for First Fridays at Red Bridge Brewery – Every first Friday of the month you can find some sweet local talent at Red Bridge Brewing Company during their LIVE music events. Delicious burgers, great craft beer and some cool locals, young and old… your bound to have good time!
- Drink wine like Lords and Lasses at Packwood – Now Packwood is hands down my favorite wine farm in the Garden Route. Possibly the whole country! Spoil yourself to their super delicious, totally organic (from their own farm) cheese platters, fresh salad from their garden, daring yet prize winning wines from the vineyard right next to you and their connoisseur called Ashley proudly giving an insightful talk about their wines … then try to take your eyes of the fantastic view over Plettenberg Bay! (closed over weekends for functions)
- Enjoy Dinner and Evening Entertainment at Bloo Bistro – Now Bloo is truly one of a kind. With decor that looks fresh out of the 60’s you’ll feel transported to a beautiful gypsy garden and with more mirror balls than a disco, one would think that the vibe is too busy for a sit down dinner, but you will be mistaken. Head out to town for dinner at Bloo Bistro World Cafe ( Tripadvisor / Facebook ) and let your senses soar with their curries and delicious cuisines. Then stick around cause they often have LIVE music and some DJ’s to get the night started.
- Hike to Drupkelders Rock Pools and stay for the day – With a 30 min walk down to Drupkelders, you can also witness the beauty we were raised around. Stunning little waterfalls and rock swimming pools can keep you busy all day. Take a picnic basket along (see our #1 up here) and chill it our all day. Save some energy for the walk back 😉
- Round off ANY fantastic day in style with a Sunset cruise on the lagoon – The Turbine Waterclub offers a private pontoon-boat cruise for yourself and some friends during the best time of the day… sunset in Knysna! While being very affordable, you can bring your own drinks along for this 1 or 2 hour cruise on the lagoon.
- Follow the journey of wine – From grape to bottle, from vineyard to cellar – This is Rock the Routes very own Wine Makers Experience. A full day exploring the journey of wine in the Plett Winelands. Find out how and why wine was made and the journey it undergoes to get into your glass. Then obviously, taste them all! Drop us a mail to find out more – email@example.com
Now there is plenty more to do around our breath taking region, but you will definitely need more than a week to REALLY see how us locals live here, and why we never leave haha
We also have a great suggestion for accommodation when you do head to Eden – Accommodation Direct has some awesome off the beaten track options and they are your link to the perfect stay in Knysna and the surrounds.
From luxury lays to farm stays… Check them out, they have something for everyone!
And if any of this is too mild OR too wild for you, give us a call to tailor make you a perfect day in the Garden Route! +27 61 107 7625