Our beautiful South Africa definitely has her ups and downs, but one thing we have plenty of is long weekends! And don’t we all just love having that extra day to play with! Jam pack it full of action OR use it to simply prolong the relaxing….
Luckily for us Eden locals, our backyard has loads of options to pack your weekend with action and adrenaline OR just chill under the sunny skies.
Here’s our suggested options for turning any two days into Your Weekend!
Behold, the Adrenaline Junkie:
- 7 AM – Champagne and oysters on Buffalo Bay beach followed by a refreshing splash in the waves. Healthy and invigorating with a touch of intoxication… off to a good start.
- 8 AM – Grab a breakfast pancake of your choice at Flippin Knys Restaurant on the train tracks overlooking the Goukamma River before getting back on the N2.
- 10 AM – Head west to the Kaaimans River for a SUP session and definitely consider the Garden Route’s highest abseil with Fearless Adventures in Wilderness.
- 1 PM – Keep the lunch light with a gourmet sandwich at Flava Café in Wilderness Village (not hard to find seeing that the village is about as big as a 10 walk through)
- 2 PM – Head up into the Millwood Forests and speed down the hills with a Scootours downhill adventure… And forget that these fat wheel scooters have breaks!
- 4 PM – a Speedy trip through the Knysna Heads with Knysna Rib Adventures.
- We suggest sleeping over close to Knysna as this gives you all afternoon to enjoy a fantastic sunset… What we live for!
- Dinner at Freshline Fisheries or their sister restaurant Rib & Rump next door is a must in Knysna and you can bring your own drinks!
- 7 AM – Depart Knysna early and gather your nerves on the 60 min drive to Bloukrans Bridge, the world’s highest commercial bungy!
- 9 AM – Ziplining, jumping off cliffs, swimming and abseiling is next up with Africanyon , they have super guides and comfortable safety equipment for this 2 hour ‘kloofing’ mission.
- 12 PM – Enjoy a heavenly lunch at the Peppermil Restaurant right behind the Africanyon office.
- 1 PM – Hike the 3 hr route at Robberg National Park outside Plettenberg Bay
- Sundowners at Moby Dick’s at Plettenberg Bay main beach is the way to go! And Surf Café OR the Table serves great dinner.
- And here is some lekker sleepover options in and around Plettenberg Bay.
Also check out This Post of ours for more options to get your rush on!
And now for all you cool cats out there, the Zen Cat:
- 7 AM – Head for a healthy breakfast and delicious local coffee at Slow Roasted Coffee in Sedgefield and on Saturdays the Wild Oats Farmers Market next door serves excellent farm produce.
- 9 AM – Rent kayaks and take a slow paddle and hike up to the waterfall in the Wilderness National Park.
- 1 PM – Feel the vibe and relax with super service and even better food at the famous Cocomo Restaurant in Wilderness Village OR get in touch with the Wilderness Picnic Company who deliver a kick-ass organic, healthy & biodegradable picnic basket to a picnic spot of your choice. We can also help 😉
- The afternoon brings many options; gin or beer tasting at The Blind Pig, also in Wilderness OR a sunset stroll on Wilderness or Brenton beach.
- Book yourself a massage before dinner with the ever-amazing Meagan Vermaas who does full body aroma therapy massages in the comfort of your sleep over spot (please contact us for her number). She comes out to any accommodation you might choose in Knysna and the close vicinity.
- Succulent Seafood dinner at Freshline Fisheries or their sister restaurant Rib & Rump is to die for!
- 9 AM – A Gourmet Foodie Walk is the coolest way to spend your day in Knysna and you’ll hear some hints of heritage and history as well (get in touch with us for details)
- 12 PM – 12h30 actually, this is when Mitchells Brewery in Knysna do their first brewery tour and full tasting of their range and they are the oldest craft brewery in the country!
- If alcohol or beer is not your thing, pop in to The Project Bar for their fabulous oyster experience.
- 4 PM – There are plenty of Spas and retreats around Knysna to sooth you into a stupor with amazing treatments and some royal service! (we have more details)
- 7 PM – One of my favourite hidden gems for dinner is (with my mouth watering right now) Muse Fusion Food… definitely visit them when you’re down here!
It’s hard to choose what to do when you only have a weekend or so. It is even harder to plan a couple of days in Eden if you’re not from here and only heard about all the amazing things through the grapevine.
But rest assured that whatever you do in the Garden Route, it will not be time wasted. Whether you want to scare yourself a little OR go home invigorated by nature… The weekend is yours in the Garden Route!
[ This blog was independently and passionately written by myself, a human called Heinie, yet sponsored by SA-Venues. Check them out some time! They are very handy and offer sweet and swift service indeed! ]